Kojeve's Existentialism

Here's Kojeve
>In other words, the very being of this I will be becoming, and the universal form of this being will not be space, but time. Therefore, its continuation in existence will signify for this I: "not to be what it is (as static and given being, as natural being, as 'innate character') and to be (that is, to become) what it is not." Thus, this I will be its own product: it will be (in the future) what it has become by negation (in the present) of what it was (in the past), this negation being accomplished with a view to what it will become. In its very being this I is intentional becoming, deliberate evolution, conscious and voluntary progress; it is the act of transcending the given that is given to it and that it itself is.

Spirit is the "I" that _knows_ _this_ _about_ _itself_. I am a "transcendence of the given" conscious of myself as such. But I was already a transcendence of the given before I became aware of this, and it was this transcendence of the given that made my self-knowledge possible in the first place. The past is not fixed. I am not only my past in the mode of no longer being it, but also my past is the past in the mode of no longer being it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

for "Stirner"

Hegel & The Irony

"the one who is supposed to know"